The idea behind online learning is quite simple – to enable more people to learn for less money. The mission of empowering students of all ages is a noble one, but however it is not always easy to fulfill it.
Online learning is difficult for many and you have to really want to do it. The determination is not the only parameter of success. Distance learning requires big time commitment and you have to know exactly what you are going to get out of any online program before starting if you want to succeed.
Knowing some of the challenges, you might want to hear about the benefits of e-learning. (The info graph can help you understand the benefits and positive sides of the e-learning
In addition to the explained above, it is important to Understand the online learning. A crucial difference between in-person and online learning is the independence and ability to participate in the online class at a time convenient to you. This is a challenge as you actually have to schedule the time to go and do the learning. You could feel alone at times and it is easy to procrastinate in this environment, but the motivation and discipline to learn needs to come from you.
Realistic study goals are important. Study skills recognizing of your capacity and your limitations are essential. This environment does allow you to work at a pace that suits you best, but you need to be realistic in the amount of time you can spend studying.
Study routine includes managing your time, which is key to your success in online learning. Set time aside for the things you usually do, work, relax, socialize and get involved in your other commitments. This will give you a good idea of the time available for your studies. Are you a morning or an evening learner? Getting your study schedule right, and on time will help you enjoy online learning.
Establish your learning style and use it: In this self-directed environment, you need to know how you learn best and get the support you need to learn this way. One of the online learning styles assessments can help you find your style. Upon you establish it use it to personalize the learning to meet your needs.
Good learning style assessments are as follows:
The Vark guide to learning styles
• The Edutopia learning style quiz
• Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire
Online learning tools familiarization: understanding how to navigate the system can take a lot of the stress away, so spend some time upfront in this will get you ahead. For example, you can change your enrolment details, set up your personal profile, utilize technical query forums, access discussion forums, contact instructions and access library facilities.
Understand well how assessment actually works together with the compulsory requirements, how are the exams held at particular times, do you need to take part in discussion groups and how to get these in your schedule.
Support team developing: Developing learning communities and networks is important in online learning. Let your boss, colleagues, friends and family know what you are doing, and use the online support services provided to help you while you study. Take part in online discussions and apply what you are learning in the workplace. We all need a support team to help get through when studying get tough.
Reward yourself for the study success: Online study is challenging as it requires self-motivation and self-belief. Success relies on your ability to know when you have done a good job, thus remember to reward yourself when you achieve something.
Bear in mind that taking online classes and getting your degree through distance education has a variety of benefits, but it takes a good amount of motivation. If you are someone who gets easily distracted and works better with visual presentation, you might not be suited for online schooling. Remember that those who work well on their own and learn through text will do very well.
It is the online degree programs that are an excellent way for busy professions to gain advanced training and certifications either for the purpose of career path switch, job promotion preparation or just to enhance their working field related knowledge. But not all online students successfully complete their online program.
The success or a failure of an online student in his learning program is affected by a few factors.
1. Time management: One of the key advantage of online degree program is it allows you to plan your learning schedule, at you own time and own pace. Time management might be the biggest determination factor in succeeding at your online degree program, so be very proactive in your studies and take responsibility for your own learning, by manage your time on your learning schedule, doing the assignment on regular basis, and constantly communicate with your professors and peers through online learning channel prepared by the school to solve your doubts and question of courses. Determine what time of day you think you will be most focused on your studies, and reserve a designated allotment of time to dedicate to your course.
2. Self-motivation: Getting your degree online does not mean that you are studying alone. You still get connected with your professors and peers through online channels such as message board, chat, forums. Find the professor, or another student reminding you to get to work, stay on task, or turn your assignments in on time, constantly being self motivated to succeed
3. Read and understand in electronic text format: Some online learning materials are in audio and others are in video format, but most of them still in electronic text format. Being an online student, requires a lot of reading in text format rather than hearing the lectures being thought. There are students who absorb the knowledge faster with explanation in lecture hall, but to be a successful online student, you need to be better in understanding the knowledge conveys in text format.
4. Place of study: some students need absolute silence while others can concentrate without noise in the background. No matter what your preference is, a place that is free from distractions is recommended. If you can not escape from the home interruptions, bring alone your laptop to library or a coffee shop. Schedule your designated study time when you can be in a distraction-free environment and your chances for success will increase. The time you need to devote to your course will decrease.
5. Answer your questions: Many online courses come with instructor support or mentor by an online lecturer, so that students never feel lost or alone during the e-learning process. Do not be afraid to ask questions, direct your inquiries to your lecturer.
Online chat rooms, are another great resource to seek for answers. They give students a forum to meet other students taking the same course and ask questions or discuss assignments.
To be a successful online student, you must be able to utilize the online resources provided by the school to communicate with your professors, peers and get your questions answered.
In a nutshell,
success in online learning requires self-discipline, organization, and the ability to use modern technology to communicate with your professors and peers.